For the sake of simplicity, I will refer to our unborn son as "Turbo" in this post.
Today is Tuesday. As you know, 72 hours ago, Turbo underwent a fetal thoracentesis to remove fluid from his pleural cavity, which we now believe to be lymphatic fluid (there was a high number of lymphocytes found in the fluid). Our primary objective in our doctor's visit this morning was to assess how quickly this fluid would reaccumulate in Turbo's chest, if at all, as well as if the amniotic fluid had changed in volume.
Results from today show that approximately two-thirds of the fluid has reaccumulated already, and although this is not surprising (typically pleural effusions, when drained, reaccumulate fluid within 24 hours or so), we were hoping for much less accumulation. The good news is that the amount of amniotic fluid has decreased (increased levels of amniotic fluid can result in preterm labor, more commonly known as premature birth). We have another appointment this Friday for further analysis of the baby's situation, and we will have weekly visits to closely monitor Turbo's development. We pray that there will be no need to drain the fluid again or place a shunt in his pleural cavity.
We are told that the fluid which was drawn from Turbo's pleural cavity is likely lymphatic fluid, which leads us to hope that the cause of the fluid buildup is chylothorax. This is common enough in newborns to not cause great concern, and is the most hopeful prognosis of his condition.
No matter what the cause or result of this fluid buildup, we can be sure that his lung capacity and function upon birth will not change from what it is right now. The fetal lung ceases major development at about 25 weeks of gestation. All we can do now is pray (actually, I think that's all we ever could do, isn't it?).
These are verses shared with us by our ever-faithful friends. Thank you so much.
Romans 8:28 And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.
Ecclesiastes 11:5 As you do not know the path of the wind, or how the body is formed in a mother's womb, so you cannot understand the work of God, the Maker of all things.
Jeremiah 29:11 - "For I know the plans I have for you" says the Lord,"plans for good and not evil, to give you a future and a hope".
Psalm 46:1 -God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble.
Isaiah 41:10 - So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.
No comments:
Post a Comment